Frequently Asked Questions

I have questions. Where can I find answers?

Start with your community phone book. Under the local government section, there may be listings for "Mental Health Services." Your community health center is a good place to start. In addition, most mental health providers offer 24-hour emergency numbers to answer questions after hours or in a crisis situation. In Mecklenburg and Cabarrus Counties, call 1.800.939.5911, for Cardinal Innovations Healthcare Solutions.

What about paying for treatment? What will it cost me?

Your insurance carrier can help identify what your co-payment may be. No insurance? You may still be able to get financial assistance. Ask your mental health provider - some have sliding fee scales. Fees might be based on your ability to pay, or a combination of other factors.

Someone I love is having a mental health concern. Where can we get help?

Start with a physical examination by a doctor. Some medications and infections can cause the same symptoms associated with depression or mental illness. The doctor will examine your loved one and possibly evaluate lab tests. If the symptoms are not the result of a physical cause, the doctor may refer your loved one to a psychiatrist or psychologist. Arm yourself with information. Contact MHA of Central Carolinas at (704) 365-3454 or [email protected].

I suspect someone needs to be involuntarily committed. What is the process?

Individuals have the right to make their own decisions about mental health treatment. However, there may be instances when a person - due to a mental disorder such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder or other affective disorders - may lack insight or good judgment about their need for treatment. In North Carolina, a magistrate is authorized to issue custody orders for involuntary commitment. In order to be hospitalized against an individual's wishes, there must be clear evidence the person is dangerous to self or others. For more information on the process, please contact your County Magistrate's office. In Cabarrus County, call (704) 782-6016, or in Mecklenburg County, call (704) 686-0070.

Mental Health America FAQs

Mental Health Quick Fact

Combat veterans or civilians exposed to war may experience Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). PTSD can also affect civilians after personal assaults such as rape, mugging, domestic violence, terrorism, disasters, or accidents.